Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Catherine Earnshaw: Lovelorn Victim or Manipulative Pre-Madonna

I am 13 chapters into Wuthering Heights. For those in need of refreshing, this is the part of the novel in which Catherine's life is beginning to derail (well at least that is her version of the story). Always the apt manipulator we find Catherine throwing the mother of all hissyfits. Under a self-imposed lock down and fast, she states, "If I were only sure it would kill him,' she interrupted, 'I'd kill myself directly! These three awful nights I've never closed my lids - and oh, I've been tormented! I've been haunted, Nelly! But I begin to fancy you don't like me. How strange! I thought, though everybody hated and despised each other, they could not avoid loving me. And they have all turned to enemies in a few hours: they have, I'm positive; the people here." Her selfishness boggles the mind.

It is very hard for the modern woman to sympathize with Catherine. If ever there were a legitimate polemic against the institute of marriage, it might be that people do it for the wrong reasons --for their own selfish desires. Catherine never acknowledges that she could be hurting her husband; it is all about her needs, wants, and desires.

The intricacies of marital bliss aside, the problem with Catherine is that she manipulative and spoiled. Any redemptive sympathy her character leverages might be seen in her romance with Heathcliff. However, Wuthering Heights is not a love story for the ages as it is often portrayed to be, thus far. Perhaps because I cannot see the appeal of the brooding impertinent Heathcliff, over her well meaning husband- Edgar. I am not suggesting that Heathcliff did not experience terrible abuse at the hands of Hindley -- enough to make anyone a little grouchy. Its just that I can symphonies with Hindley's feelings of rejection, after being usurp from his "rightful" place, as favorite son.

I enjoy Catherine's wild child frivolity. Yet like our new President quoted in his inaugural, there comes a time "to put away childish things ". As a married woman, it was time for Catherine to put away her childhood relationship with Heathcliff and grow-up. No fits of fancy, tantrums or complaining would change the outcome of her choices. Social climbing will give you money, but not necessarily happiness. However, we must applaud Brontë for developing a strong willed woman willing to go the distance for love, even if it is at the cost of all those around her.


No comments:

Post a Comment